7Zip Filehippo is an open-source and free file archiver Software, a utility feature used to place groups of files within a compressed folder known as “archives”. It is developed by Igor Pavlov and was first released in 1999. It uses its own 7z archive format but can read and write several other archive formats. The program can be used from a command-line interface as the command p7zip, or through a graphical user interface that also features shell integration. Most of the 7-Zip source code is under the GNU LGPL license; the unRAR code, however, is under the GNU LGPL with an “unRAR restriction”, which states that developers are not permitted to use the code to reverse-engineer the RAR compression algorithm.
You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial and business organization. You don’t need to register or pay for it. It also creates password-protected file zip files, as well as self-extracting zip files. Most of the code is under the GNU LGPL license. Some parts of the code are under the BSD 3-clause License. Also, there is an unRAR license restriction for some parts of the code.
7zip Filehippo for pc features:
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing/unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Supported packing/unpacking formats: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, and TAR.
- Supported formats for unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR, and Z.
- Compression ratio for ZIP and GZIP formats: 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats.
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format.
- Integration with Windows Shell.
- Powerful File Manager.
- Powerful command-line version.
- Plugin for FAR Manager.
- Localizations for 87 languages.
7-Zip works in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2016 / 2012 / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT.
p7zip – the port of the command line version of 7-Zip to Linux/Posix.
On 7-Zip’s SourceForge Page you can find a forum, bug reports, and feature request systems.
We compared 7-Zip with WinRAR 5.20.
FILE SETS: Mozilla Firefox 34.0.5 for Windows and Google Earth 18.104.22.16813 for Windows.
85 280 391 bytes
110 700 519 bytes
|39 357 375
||15 964 369
-m5 -s -ma5 -md128m
|41 789 543
||17 035 432
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of the other zip compatible programs. This is an ultimate free zip folder for sure.